Thursday, February 18, 2010

the pearl of africa

So let's just get it right out there - I'm a little put off by pit toilets. I knew they were part of the deal when I was coming in but there's just NO preparing yourself for the smell of that thing after an afternoon of sweltering heat. Turns out, too, that Ugandans have the most dead-on, sharpshooter aim ever. Americans? Not so much.

Oliotiya! or, How are you!?! in Lugandan. Most people here speak some level of English but Lugandan is still the closest thing to being a lingua franca.
You know what, let's back. I'm here! I've arrived! Tuesday evening after an absolutely grueling 13 hour layover in Nairobi, I flew the 50 minutes into Entebbe. My face was plastered to the window for the entire flight - like a small child. Had it been an open window type situation there's no doubt that I would have stuck my head out, like a dog, to get a better look. Naturally, my bag did not make it with me and I received it only an hour ago with, get this, EVERYTHING IN IT! I was near tears I was so happy
On Tuesday, a man named Shalo picked me up from the airport and brought me to stay in a backpacker's hostel in Entebbe until the folks from my organization were able to collect me the following morning. There was no power when I arrived but id didn't matter because I immediately passed out next to some Swedish backpackers. The next morning it dawned on me that I'd not showered in nearly three days and so began my first experience with a bucket bath. Now picture multiple canisters of rain water, a dish in which to pour it and me...standing there thinking...crap. How one goes about this cleansing is to pour the bucket water into the basin and then splash it on you to rinse off, etc. I eventually just started pouring the (freezing) water over my head. I was laughing pretty hysterically about the way this kind of just threw me into the deep end, and since I had no change of clothes, etc. I just dried off with a sweatshirt and put the same clothes back on.
The drive from Entebbe to Mukono was a little overwhelming - so many people! So many vibrant and rich colors! So many people! And, at least two grocery stores/hair salons/car washes that had recently been renamed something along the lines of "Obama Market"
Yesterday afternoon I got the opportunity to sit down with Travis, the founder and director of the organization I'm working with, MACRO Uganda, and hear about his vision for the coming months. The degree to which many people here lack a basic knowledge about their health is staggering. I was told that simply talking to them about the importance of washing their hands can be incredibly transformative because they simply don't know. Travis also asked me if I like to shake bones because he loves to go MACRO bone shaking and has made up a total of 72 dance moves on his own. Many of you can attest to the absolute idiocy that is my dancing, (Dancing might even be too generous a term!) so please stay tuned.
This weekend three other volunteers and I are going west, almost to the Congo, to Kibale (Ch-ball-e) to go chimp trekking and check out the crater lakes. It should be pretty awesome. Then, Monday morning, I set off with MACRO for four days in a fairly remote village to discuss Malaria. When I say remote, it's entirely feasible that I'll be the first "muzungu" or white person that the children there will have ever seen.
On the note of being a muzungu, the children in my town, Mukono love LOVE to yell out as we walk by. Since Ugandan's way of greeting people is to say "how are you" rather than "hello" these kids have taken to skipping all of that and just screaming " Muzungu, BYE!" regardless if one's coming or going. I was told they also used to just yell out "AMERICA!" and more recently, "OBAMA!" to any white person they see. I actually have yet to meet another American but needless to say, these kids melt my heart.
There are many notes that I've read from former volunteers with bits of wisdom about spending time in this beautiful country. One said "If you're going to be in Uganda then be IN Uganda." I assume that was written for someone like me. :) So, I'm trying! I am struggling with the withdrawal from all connection to the outside world but I'm sure it'll soon subside. I'm also shocked by how deeply and palpably I already miss so many people..I won't even tell you how many times I think I hear my phone ring. Emmmmbbbbarraaaaassssing.
And, I really miss the Spartans. Okay, I HAD to say it.

Still with the oodles,
Effie

One quick side note, because of the totally unreliable internet connection here and the precious little time I have to be on said internet, I won't be re-reading what I type...if there are typos, well...I'm sorry but it is what it is ;) xx

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Frannie - you have such wonderful adventures ahead of you. I must say I am a bit envious! Enjoy and keep us all posted.
    Cheers,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete